Susquehanna Mountain Biking Association (SAMBA)
SAMBA is one of three community minded local Mountain Biking Associations that can be found here in Central Pennsylvania. They are responsible for maintaining over 55 miles of trails surrounding Harrisburg to the North, South, East, and have helped with a soon to be local addition of 12+ miles of trails in Harrisburg on unused Green Spaces.
Trails that SAMBA currently maintains are:
- Governor Dick (10 miles)
- Camp Mack (15 miles)
- Swatara State Park (10+ miles)
- Weiser State Forest/Rattling Creek (30+ miles)
- Local Trails in Harrisburg - Coming Soon!
SAMBA is an official IMBA (International Mountain Biking Association) chapter club and was selected by IMBA in 2014 to be visited by their Trail Care Crew to host a series of Trail Building School seminars and "Better Living through Trails" which targeted local community members, land managers, and political figures advocating about the benefits of having mountain bike trails in their communities.
The purpose of the Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association is to protect and encourage mountain bike trail access by creating positive working relationships with area land management agencies. The organization provides information, education and support to Central Pennsylvania mountain bike riders.
Swatara Group Rides
Nearly every Tuesday night at Swatara State is "show-n-go" group ride that is supported by members of the Susquehanna Area Mountain Biking Association.
What do I need to know about this group ride?
- The ride departs from the parking lot at 6:30pm, arrive early to meet your fellow riders and be ready to go at 6:30pm!
- Following these directions will lead you to the parking lot where the ride starts: From I-81. Take the Lickdale/Lebanon off-ramp at Exit 90, left of the off ramp then go 1/4 mile to the lights at Lickdale turn left this turns into 443. Turn right onto State Park Rd, the parking lot is the bottom, for access to the rail trail and the single-track. Trail starts at notice-board, the rail trail is through the gate onto the old paved road.
- Official Swatara State Park Map with outlined SAMBA Area
- Map of the Mountain Bike Trails
- Bring some water to stay hydrated while you ride, fill a couple water bottles or wear a hydration pack.
- Make sure you have a spare tube in case you flat, if you've got a pump that's also great!
- Respect the trails and follow the rules of the trail when riding.
- Be prepared to have some fun!
How You Can Support This Great Organization
SAMBA is a member supported organization and without its members who volunteer their time to keep those 55+ miles of trails open we would not have the smooth awesome super fun to trails to ride. You can become a member of this great organization by clicking right here!
More information about SAMBA, trail conditions, and maps with directions can be found on their website www.sambabiker.com
Please join us in supporting this awesome organization!